Friday, May 7, 2010

Less padding while still enjoying Bread Pudding.

I was tinkering around on a few websites and ran across some ideas for quite a few lower calorie options for a bunch of things. I found them on prevention.com for lower calorie recipes and I thought I could one up it with the bread pudding. I planned on having David and Davicia over for dinner and I really wanted to be able to enjoy something when they came over. I thought I'd try this one out on them. I also really love Dahlia Bakery's (http://tomdouglas.com/index.php/restaurants/dahlia-bakery) Toasted Pecan Flax Bread and I thought it would be the best thing to try in it. Also, they were super great about giving me all the ingredients so that I could find out the nutritional information.


Bread Pudding (Serving 1/12)

Calories: 130 Carbohydrates: 17.4

Protein: 4.5 Fat: 3.7


12 oz Dahlia Bakery Pecan Flax Bread

(2oz Cal: 166 Carb: 23.4 Pro: 4.9 Fat: 6.4)

1 Apple

1/4 Cup Simply Orange Juice

1 Tbsp. Smart Balance with Flax Oil

1 Tbsp. Buckwheat Flour

1/4 Tsp Allspice

1/2 Cup Egg Beaters

1/2 Cup Deluxe Trim Fat Free Milk

4 Tbsp. Dark Rum

2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar


The oven should be preheated to 350°F. I used an 8" round cake pan but I think something square may have been a little better for portioning but either way a pre-greased pan is the best solution. I like to use the pam- butter flavored spray. No calories and it works well. Once the pan is greased you chop up the bread and the apple and mix them in the pan together.

Next, you're supposed to make a roux for the bread pudding. It didn't really do what its supposed to. But, either way, I used the smart balance margarine and the buckwheat flour to make the recipe was trying to get me to do was make a roux. It didn't brown because of the dairy free "margarine." The idea is that you melt down the Smart Balance in a sauce pan on medium and stir in the flour. Add the milk and stir constantly for 5 mins. Its supposed to thicken, but it didn't with me. In a small bowl combine the orange juice, egg, sugar, rum and all spice. (The original recipe called for egg and egg whites so I just added all egg whites. Also it called for something called a "three-fruit speed," well I had no idea what that was so I added extra rum.) Add that to the milk mixture in the saucepan and stir until its well blended. Once its finished pour the milk mixture over the bread and apples.

Bake for 40 to 45 mins until brown and enjoy. The best way to get the right calorie count is to divide what you make into 12 pieces.


I forgot about putting a sauce on top of it... So I quickly improvised and added ice cream for the boys and I added a little greek yogurt with a little truvia in it to make it like a whip/creme..... It tasted great with it!


I made a double batch because I was entertaining and splitting it into two pans mistakenly. It should defiantly be in a deeper pan with more liquid. It was way drier then I wanted. I think that maybe I would add more egg beaters or perhaps add some water and protein to it to make it a little thicker and soupier, or to make a better custard. I made this recipe before I started adding protein to things in place of sugar. Perhaps I should try it again and see what happens. Ill re-post new details when I prefect it the next time.


Source:

http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/fall-bread-pudding.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment